Friday, September 12, 2014

My Start of Tertiary Education

Hello.

So in case if you guys don't know, I'm already starting University. Just started last month.

As far as I can say, University life isn't as 'chill' as it may seem. True enough, you can arrange your own timetables, choose from a wide variety of ECAs (yes they call it ECAs here at my place), and countless of other things that seem very attractive. But it isn't all that great. I'm not saying it sucks by the way; it's just about as hectic in JC/Poly I think. Your JC/Poly teachers may tell you that University will get better but I kind of doubt it as a Year 1 student now.

1. Workload is just equally daunting
Lectures are free-and-easy, tutorials are done otot, but if you're thinking of skipping them entirely, who's the one losing out at the end of the day? Having to clear 8 modules which translates to 20 hours per week for the first semester isn't such an easy feat as I thought it to be.

2. Out-of-lessons time
Outside of lessons time, most of us are either participating in some sport/club/hall activity which requires commitment and could take up a lot of time, especially if you're staying in hall and vying for hall points and stuff like that. And then there's all time which you spend socializing with friends, hanging out, supper, mugging etc.

3. Adaptation
As I'm staying in hall, there's also this issue about adapting to living independently in a new environment. I'm not the sort of person who cannot stand loneliness (in fact I actually wanted to apply for single room but that's another story anyway), but it's having to keep your room clean, settling your own meals, doing your own laundry, waking up on time for lessons - these things need getting used to. It also proved the point that I rely quite a lot on my family and also led to a bit of homesickness for a short period of time haha. It's through befriending and familiarizing, that you eventually settle down in hall.

All in all, my life has been pretty exciting in the sense that I'm experiencing something really new in my life. It's also kind of like an army life where we 'book out' on Fridays/Saturdays and then 'book in' again on Sundays/Mondays.

Academic wise, I don't think I'm actually doing well (though we haven't had any quizzes yet; coming soon though). Most of the things that I'm learning are quite new (especially Biomolecular Engineering -.-) and kind of difficult to grasp. Probably because of the teaching styles of the lecturers, I usually cannot absorb much during lecture and end up consulting friends/self studying. Haiz. Coupled with this is the need to maintain a place in hall next year, which leads to a pretty big deal of stress.. Plus I just recovered from being sick last week haha. Gotta learn to cope!!! On a side note, my friends in uni have been reaally great so far, that's why I'm still kind of getting along well right now. Haha.

Anyway, met Amanda last week. Chanced upon her in fact, while the sick me was otw home. Gosh I miss her so much :/ (haha Amanda don't be bhb if you ever read this) WE NEED TO MEEEEET.


Okay I duno what else to type already haha.



Byebye!

No comments:

Post a Comment