Monday, December 15, 2014

The Apology Theory

Many a time when I take long bus rides alone, I get many random thoughts, such as what I'm about to write later in this post. Most of these things are not newfound facts or anything of that sort. It's just the kind of thing that you would read from inspirational/psychology books (I guess) or like from Things We Forget. My inspiration is usually taken from things happening in my day-to-day life, or random observations I make of my surroundings. Sometimes I post them on Facebook, other times I'd try to make a mental note to write them here if I have the time.

On a random side note, I still love taking SBS bus service 10 from Tampines interchange, and that familiar route home. It gets me thinking, and I feel peaceful internally hahaha. Sounds like an exaggeration I know haha. But generally I love long bus rides. Haha.

Anyway, so this post is about what I conceptualised about apologizing. Bits and pieces of what I remember ah.. coz some things have probably slipped my mind. And I don't have excellent vocabulary either, so I'm just using simple words.

Apologise only if you're truly sorry. Don't apologise because you feel compelled to. Don't apologise because you feel guilty. Don't apologise because you have another motive in mind. Apologise only if you know how it feels/sucks to be in those shoes. Apologise because you want to let the other party know that you are truly concerned. Apologise because you want to make a conscious effort to improve on things between you and the other party. Otherwise, an apology just means nothing.

Overcoming your own guilt towards someone by using money or material goods is not going to resolve the guilt. Presenting goods or money to the receiving party only makes him/her temporarily happy and nothing more. It doesn't make the problem go away.


No comments:

Post a Comment